- Ph.D. in Sociology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A., PhD in Sociology (2000-2009)
- MA in Economics, George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia, U.S.A., (1998-2000)
- MSc. in Sociology, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey (1996-1999)
- B.A. in Economics, Boğaziçi University (1991-1995)
Academic Work Experience
- Associate Professor by the Higher Education Council of Turkey, Sociology (2014-)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science and Public Administration, Kadir Has University, Istanbul, Turkey (2011-)
- Lecturer, Department of Political Science, Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey (2005-2007)
- Research and Teaching Assistant, Department of Sociology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A. (2000-2005)
- Political economy of globalization and development, poverty, debt, financialization and microfinance, women’s rights and movements
- “Finansallaşma döneminde standartlaşmış bir politika: merkez bankası bağımsızlığı ve Türkiye” (A standard policy in the era of financialization: central bank independence and Turkey), Ebru Kayaalp and Fatih Altug, eds., Standartlar Nasil İşler? (How does Standardization Work?) Istanbul: Küre Yayınları, 83-105 (2018).
- “Neoliberal Ahlak ve Yoksulluk Kıskacında Batmanlı Kadınların Mikrokredi Deneyimleri” (Women on Microcredit: Experiences of Women Trapped Between the Neoliberal Ethics and Poverty), Kadın/Woman 2000 Journal for Woman’s Studies, 17(2) December, 1-26 (with Semiha Ari) (2016).
- “Turkey in Europe, Europe in Turkey: History, Elites and the Media” Willfried Spohn, Matthias Koenig and Wolfgang Knöbl, eds., Religion and National Identities in an Enlarged Europe. New York: Palgrave, 96-123 (with Levent Soysal and Saime Ozcurumez) (2015).
- “Women’s Shelters in Turkey: A Qualitative Study on Shortcomings of Policy Making and Implementation”, Violence Against Women, 19 (3), 338-355 (with Sule Toktas) (SSCI) (2013)
- “Feminists’ Dilemma – With or Without the State? The Struggle of Violence Against Women and Women’s Shelters in Turkey”, Asian Journal of Women Studies, 17 (3), 49-75 (with Sule Toktas) (SSCI) (2011)
- Project Coordinator and Researcher, “Women and Development: Microcredit Financing”, funded by Kadir Has University Scientific Research Project Grant Office (SRP), total amount funded: 26,930 TL. (2016-2019)
- Researcher in the project entitled “Global Family Equality-Turkish Case”, project coordinator: Francine Deutch, Mount Holyoke College, South Hadley, MA, USA (2012-2016)
- Project Coordinator, “Women’s Movement in Turkey: Political Feminism or Project Feminism?”, with Sule Toktas, funded by Kadir Has University, total amount funded: 14,930 TL. (2008-2011)
- Researcher in the project entitled “Europeanization, multiple modernities and collective identities – nation, religion and ethnicity in an enlarging Europe” (EUROMM), project coordinators: Wolfgang Knöbl, Matthias Koenig & Willfried Spohn, funded by Volkswagen Stiftung, total amount funded: 238,800 euro. (2008-2015)