Since 2017: Member of the Faculty of Social Sciences at the University of Duisburg-Essen and Affiliate Professor of Political Science.
Since 2017: Member of the Council of the Academy in Exile.
Since 2013: Senior Researcher and (since 2018) member of the executive board of the Käte Hamburger Kolleg / Centre for Global Cooperation Research, Duisburg.
Since 2012: Fellow at the KWI.
Since 2010: Faculty Fellow at the Center for Cultural Sociology, Yale University.
2014–2017: Member of the Social Science Faculty of the University of Bochum.
1998–2012: Researcher at the Institute for Social Research in Frankfurt, Germany.
2006–2010: Lecturer in Political Theory at McGill University, Montreal.
1995–2010: Visiting Fellowships in the United States, Canada, India and Israel.
2001: Habilitation in Political Science at the University of Giessen, Germany.
Modern political theory, migration and democracy, exile studies
- Heins, Volker M. (forthcoming) “Can the refugee speak? Albert Hirschman and the changing meanings of exile”. Thesis Eleven.
- Heins, Volker M., and Christine Unrau (2020) “Anti-immigrant movements and the self-poisoning of the civil sphere: The case of Germany”, in: Jeffrey C. Alexander, Trevor Stack, Farhad Khosrokhavar (eds.) Breaching the Civil Order: Radicalism and the Civil Sphere. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, pp. 145-169.
- Heins, Volker M. (2019) “Kultureller Pluralismus und Kritische Theorie. Von Adorno bis Honneth”, in: Ulf Bohmann, Paul Sörensen (eds.) Kritische Theorie der Politik. Berlin: Suhrkamp, pp. 674-695.
- Heins, Volker M. (2019) “‘More Modest and More Political’: From the Frankfurt School to the Liberalism of Fear”, in: Samantha Ashenden, Andreas Hess (eds.) Between Utopia and Realism: The Political Thought of Judith N. Shklar. Philadelphia, PA: University of Pennsylvania Press, pp. 179-197.
- Heins, Volker M. et al. (2018) “Gift-giving and reciprocity in global society: Introducing Marcel Mauss in international studies”, Journal of International Political Theory, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 126-144.