2018 – today
- Fellow, Kulturwissenschaftliches Institute Essen (KWI)
- Lecturer, Assistant Professor and Associate Professor, Middle East Technical University, Department of Political Science and Public Administration
- Ph.D, State University of New York – Binghamton, Department of History
Dissertation title: “Land, Rural Classes, and Law: Agrarian Conflict and State Regulation in the Ottoman Empire, 1830s-1860s”, Supervisor: Donald Quataert
- MA, Bilkent University, Department of History
Thesis title: Workers of The Ereğli-Zonguldak Coal Basin, 1848-1922, Supervisor: S. Akşin Somel
- BSc, Middle East Technical University, Department of Political Science and Public Administration
- Late Ottoman Politics and Society
- Economic and Social History of the Ottoman Empire
- Urban History and Cosmopolitanism
- Deindustrialization, Crisis and Resilience of Households
Current Research Project
- “Revisiting ‘Cosmopolitanism’: Space, Everyday Life and Inter-Communal Relations in Late Ottoman Cities”
- “Transformed Landscapes and a Transnational Identity of Class: Narratives on (Post-)industrial Landscapes in Europe”, International Sociology, 2019, 34(1) [with Lars Meier].
- “A ‘magic and poetic’ moment of dissensus: Aesthetics and politics in the June 2013 (Gezi Park) protests in Turkey”, Space and Culture, 2017, 20(2): 191-208.
- “The Production of Space during the Period of Autonomy: Notes on Belgrade Urban Space, 1817-1867”, Journal of Balkan and Near Eastern Studies, 2016, 18(6): 588-607.
- “Peasant Protest in the Late Ottoman Empire: Moral Economy, Revolt and the Tanzimat Reforms”, International Review of Social History, 2012, 57(2): 191–227.
- Siyaset Bilimi: Kavramlar, İdeolojiler, Disiplinler Arası İlişkiler [Political Science: Basic Concepts, Ideologies and Relations with Other Disciplines] (İstanbul: YordamKitap, 2012) [edited with Gökhan Atılgan].